Thursday, April 22, 2010

SCS CAS63 challenge and variations

I posted this card here http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/2009/06/easy-thank-you-card.html
many moons ago as a simple thank you card and it is still my favorite quick go to cards for a simple thank you.

Then recently I saw a card by simplicity here: http://simplicitybylateblossom.blogspot.com/2010/04/colors-i-will-miss-part-1.html and just loved it and wanted to play with the idea of smaller pinwheels in different variations.





This card is a more straight forward case of hers using the colors in reverse. these are also some of my favorite colors that will retire from Stampin Up after June this year- Gable Green and Green Galore and Brocade Blue and Ballet Blue.
They are cut 3/4 inch square the corners rounded off using an old SU scallop scissors. The sentiment is stamped in ballet blue with Three Little words set that I earned during sale-a -bration, soon becoming my favorite for their perfect sized font and saying.
This is a vertical variation using Barely Banana CS as base ( sigh, another one of my favorite go to colors- to go)




This is the variation I posted for the CAS63 challenge using ballet blue CS partially embossed using the perfect polka dot embossing folder and the same sentiment below the accent piece heat embossed in white.
The center pieces are made taking the a little crystal out of the rhinestone brads and attaching them with the little glue dot. You could use any self adhesive crystals in a size you like.





This is grouped into a square with the eat cake sentiment (from Everything Nice stamp set) stamped in Ballet blue with eat cake wiped off with blender pen and then reinked with melon mambo marker. The Melon Mambo base is stamped with polkadots and a loop of ribbon tied with a crystal brad.








This is the same square pattern with the Ballet Blue base card with polka dots embossed on the bottom.
I would like to think that I was taking it up another notch but I guess others could think that I was making things more complicated. But this was just an exercise in different ways to set up an accent piece in 2 different colors. This is so much fun, you should try it with different combinations of 2 contrasting colors and see what combinations you can come up with! ( My English teachers would be horrified at my grammar but what are you going to do? I just write the way I talk.... )
Lynda




1 comment:

Susan Raihala said...

What a clever set of variations on a theme! Love how you played with those squares as an element, showing so many ways to arrange them. Lovely!