Sunday, May 26, 2013

Paper Pumpkin- Hey There Try It Kit Variations

 Ever since I signed up with Paper Pumpkin- the monthly paper craft club delivered to your door- I have been patiently waiting for the box.

 The first box everyone starts with is this Hey There Try It Kit.  It comes with a clear D block- $8.50 value alone- 2 clingmount stamps- The sentiment and the distressing splotchies, 4 basic grey cardbase, 4 sheets of precut DSP to layer and a sheet of adhesive diecut elements enough to make 4 cards, 4 white envelopes and 4 turquoise buttons, and a Basic Grey Stampin' Spot pad. All in all not a bad deal and I love the surprise element of it.

The kit comes with enough supplies to make four of the card shown on the left but you know me- Variety is the spice of life! and I had to use the supplies to make something different. 
I did make a rule for myself that I was going to try and only use the  supplies it came with- I did however use some tools I had on hand to spice it up a bit and 2 sheets of So Saffron Cardstock to make 4 extra cardbases.

This card was made with the So Saffron base. I cut the Basic Grey Cardstock and the DSP to put on top of the So Saffron base.  I put a dot where I thought the center of the green starburst would be with a pencil and then punched it to make a ring to put through the ribbon and embossed the Basic Grey CS with honeycomb to make variation #1.
 I was looking at the left over piece after I removed the center green starburst and it looked like the radius of the sun.  I took the Basic Grey and DSP I had left over from the above card and punched a circle from the basic grey piece to show the so saffron color below that looked like the sun. I embossed it with cloudy day.  I  layered the yellow banner.  I used the same circle punch to get rid of the center jagged edge before peeling the back and sticking it over the circle.  Add the green scallop and the button.  Stamp the sentiment- from the Pursuit of Happiness set - one of my favorites!- soon to retire -in Basic Grey to finish the variation #2.
This is the one I thought was closest to the original.  When I trimmed the one Basic Grey Basecard to layer over the so saffron cardbase, I had to trim 1/4 inch from each side to fit so I used it as an extra layer.   This time I cut the outside zigzag  circle to add some interest.  Took very little time with my extra sharp paper snips.
  This is variation #4.  The left over pieces from here are used for cards #6 and #7.
Stamp the splotches and the sentiment in basic grey.  Use a butterfly punch to punch out the yellow DSP right behind the green circle- it will hide it.
The basic grey CS is embossed with honeycomb EF and sanded to add some distress and show some white beneath. Add a strip of yellow band- left over from outside the banner. Adhere the green medallion, then butterfly with taper just down the center.  Add a small basic jewel to accent.
 Before I unstuck the medallion from the backing, I put a little dot in the center to figure out where I wanted to punch the butterfly.  I added the splotches, and sentiment as shown, added the green scallops and strip of left over strip from the banner as shown, add the button.
I used a brush and cornstarch to make the wings not sticky as more but left the center sticky so it would add some dimension.  Add a small jewel and variation #5.
 I cut the 3 inch piece of DSP left over from card #4 into 1" strips before adding the rest of the embellishments and stamping.
This is the most hodgepodge of them all.  I was just trying to figure out how I was going to make a card from the left over pieces.  I had centered the medallion in the first card using a pencil, then punched it with the little flower first, then a circle, then the small scallop before peeling it to make these pieces.
I stamped the sentiment from a Round Array in Basic Grey onto the DSP and put the scallop around it to fit.  Added strips left over from the banner around the center panel, added the scallop and used the left over circle of Basic Grey CS from card #2 to make the sun- and punched out the little butterfly again adn left over pieces of grey to make the stems.  Add some jewels and layer over so saffron card with left over piece of basic grey - embossed together.

Limiting your supplies really forces your creative juices and I thought it was really fun!
Enjoy!

Lynda

No comments: