Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A little flower box topper

 I got the Bouquet Bigshot die when I saw the bouquet on the occasion catalog cover but the largest flower in the set was really huge - a bit too big to use for the projects I had in mind but the rest of the die was really quite useable and I wanted an easy way for people to make the flower so this is how I set it up for my workshop.

Each person got a sheet of whisper white CS.
They are cut longways into 2 1/8x 11 inch pieces as shown on the left.
 I stacked 2 of the pieces and cut them 1 1/4 inch piece rectangles as shown.
The other two strips are cut into 1 3/4 inch pieces.  I used 8 of each on my flower but this will make lots more for people to play with or make fuller flowers.

You can put a stack of 4 larger rectangle over the bigger flower and 4 thinner rectangles over the smaller petal as shown. Then you only have the run it twice to make all 16 petals. Really speedy.  Then run the black for the stamen and the Old Olive for the petals.

 Here are all the ingredients to make one flower.
8 Big petals, 8 smaller petals, 2 green leaves, a black center.  I used one 1 1/2 inch circle as the base to build the flower and a daffodil delight 1/2 inch circle (the clear faceted button shows what is underneath and the daffodil circle helps it look better)
 The outside petals are folded over but less severely than the ones that go in the center.
 Use a chopstick or some rounded stick to curl the petal edges.  This step is crucial to make it look a little more realistic.
 Use the circle to tape down the 5 petals as shown.
 I then added the 3 left over petals in the center as shown.
 Then the smaller petals are placed, 3 petals per layer in 2 more layers. 
Then I put the 2 left over petals in the center- you could put 3 which may make it easier then add the center stamen.




This is how it looks from the back.  I initially made it without the base and it was all wonky after it was made - with the base it is more sturdy and easier to attach to the box anyway.
These are the flowers I made with 2 different size faceted buttons- both really pretty!  Enjoy and try it yourself.  You can make the box with the boxmaker from Stampin' Up in different color for a more masculine look, texture the box, or stamp on the box  to make it your own. 
Lynda

No comments: